PPC, otherwise known as Pay-Per-Click, is online advertising in which the advertiser pays only when the ad is clicked on. Pay-per-click ads can appear in multiple places across the web; on social media, websites and search engine result pages like Google, Yahoo and Bing. An advertiser utilizes this type of advertising to drive traffic to their website instead of driving traffic organically (non-paid).
One of the most effective channels for PPC is through search engines. It allows an advertiser to put their message in front of potential customers at the exact moment they are searching for that product or service. Google is the most used search engine, with over 2.3 million searches every second. The Microsoft search network which includes Bing, MSN, Yahoo and AOL, receive over 6 billion monthly searches, with 137 million unique monthly searches. Amazon advertising has increased their market share of the US ad business with a projected growth of more than 50% in 2019.
What are the benefits of Search PPC:
- Increase Leads/Sales – An advertiser can capture customers who are actively looking for a product and or service. More sales means more revenue for your business.
- Quick Results – Depending on the business’ strategy and overall goal, PPC search advertising produces quicker results than organically. The advertiser can serve ads to a target audience based off multiple criteria.
- Increase Website Traffic – Traffic to your website drives brand awareness and leads/sales. Users active searching or interested in your product and or service are directed to your website once they click on the ad.
- Measurement – Data is almost immediately available giving the advertiser the ability to measure the success of their PPC efforts.
What are the best types of PPC ads for your business and your goals?
- Search Network (Google, Yahoo, Bing, etc.) ads are best for mid to bottom of a purchase funnel. This advertising method utilizes keywords that trigger your ad when a user types in a search. The ad is then visible in the Search Engine Results Page (SERP) putting your message in front of the user.
- Display Network ads are best to drive brand awareness and top to mid-funnel customers. These ads are displayed on websites across the web based off the website content. Clicks are relatively cheaper than search ads and can be an image, rich media or text ad.
- Remarketing are ads that target users who have previously visited your website. The ads appear on other websites keeping your product/service top-of-mind and increasing the probability of them converting by 147%.
- Video ads target potential customers on YouTube when they view videos or search a topic/category. Video ads are great for brand awareness and driving traffic to your business website. Leverage the over 1 billion monthly YouTube users with low cost views.
Pay-per-click can offer significant value for your business if set up and managed properly. The complexity of PPC can make it difficult for a business to spend the quality time analyzing and optimizing the campaigns. It’s important to choose certified experts for the channel you want to advertise on.