Before we dig in let’s look at some fun facts about Snapchat and how you can leverage it for business, and even more specifically, how your business can get new customers.
But First Let Me Tell You what Snapchat Is
The Snapchat mobile only platform was launched in 2011. Snapchat is still viewed as one of the most popular US based social media platforms. Snapchat was originally designed as messaging platform that allows its users to send temporary, seconds-long images or videos to other users. After messages are opened they become inaccessible. Today Snapchat continues to innovate adding new features and tools regularly.
Is Snapchat still relevant?
Over 300 million potential new customers for your business are active on Snapchat every month. Over 180 million people visit Snapchat every day. Snapchat is still relevant and shouldn’t be neglected by businesses. Snapchat is a great marketing tool but it's not ideal for every business.
What Businesses Should Know About Snapchat
- 18% of all social media users are on Snapchat.
- Snapchat’s loyal users spend spend over 30 minutes per day on this social media platform.
- 45% of Snapchat users are between the ages of 18 and 34.
- 65% of Snapchat users upload photos.
- There are more than 10 billion daily video views on Snapchat
- Active Snapchatters open their app over 18 times per day.
- More than 400 million Snapchat stories are created every day.
How to Identify Your Target Audience on Snapchat
Most businesses struggle to identify if their target audience is on Snapchat and that’s where most businesses fail to use Snapchat correctly for business marketing. Before you can create your marketing plan you need to first understand the demographics of Snapchat.
- 71% of Snapchat users are under 34 years old.
- Roughly 70% of Snapchat users are female.
- 30% of US Millennials use Snapchat regularly.
- Users 25 years old and younger are on Snapchat 40 minutes per day on average.
- 50% of male and 77% of female college students share selfies on Snapchat.
- Snapchat reaches 11% of the total US digital population.
How to Leverage Snapchat for Your Business
Now that you have clarity with Snapchat’s demographics let’s discuss different ways to leverage Snapchat to get in front of your customers. Below we’ll discuss paid and non-paid marketing tactics.
How Businesses Pay to be Seen on Snapchat
There are 3 pay to play methods for displaying ads on Snapchat.
- Snap ads
- Sponsored geofilters
- Sponsored lenses
Snap ads are 10-second, full-screen, vertical videos and can offer some type of interactive element. Often these ads include a call to action to visit another link outside of Snapchat. This form of marketing works for almost any type of business.
Sponsored geofilters are designed to help businesses with location specific marketing promotions. These are excellent for businesses like coffee shops, service area businesses, stores and events.
Sponsored lenses are more interactive than geofilters. This marketing tactic uses special facial recognition technology. Using sponsored lenses allows brands to apply their own logo simulation over images and videos. Another great marketing strategy for almost all types of businesses.
Attracting New Customers with Snapchat Influencers
We like to refer to this as a ninja marketing tactic. The previously mentioned marketing tactics require payment directly to Snapchat. Seeking out influencers doesn’t require payment to Snapchat. Often this style of marketing can be accomplished through trade.
How to Use Influencer Marketing on Snapchat
There is no magic formula besides good ol fashion decision making. There is no guaranteed rate of return or ROI when engaging with influencer marketing. Influencer marketing done right is an excellent strategy for potentially helping your business go viral.
3 Step Formula to Build Your Snapchat Influencer Team
- Step 1: Identify influencers in your market.
- Step 2: Reach out to influencers with an irresistible offer.
- Step 3: Give influencers instructions without reducing their creativity.
5 Tips to Find Influencers for Your Business
Below are tips you can use to create an army of Snapchat influencers. Your goal is to locate Snapchat profiles with the largest reach at the lowest cost to you.
- Search relevant topics that compliment your brand or business.
- Select stories that catch your interest.
- Reach out to story creator and develop a relationship.
- Make them an offer and deliver on your promise.
- Rinse and repeat to more story creators.
How to Qualify Snapchat Influencers
Below are some simple questions you can ask to qualify potential influencers. Snapchatters not comfortable and ready to answer these questions are not likely the best influencer for your business.
- Ask influencer to describe how active they are on Snapchat.
- After you have their answer pay close attention until you believe or disbelieve.
- Ask for their other social profile names and permission to follow them.
Now that you understand how to implement Snapchat marketing tactics to grow your business and attract new customers here are 6 actionable tips for your Snapchat marketing campaign:
- Upload content regularly.
- Interact with other users.
- Sponsor a snap ad.
- Sponsor a lens ad.
- Design a sponsored geofilter.
- Connect with influencers.
Snapchat for business will continue to evolve. This social media giant is backed by a lot of money and won’t be disappearing anytime soon. Most local businesses are arriving slow to the party and now is great time to become more familiar with Snapchat.
Greater Phoenix SCORE offers various social media and online marketing live workshops around the Phoenix Valley. Click here for the full schedule.