By Margo Brown, Wave Productivity
You start off on Linkedin looking up a colleague’s experience and background and before you know it you’re one click away from watching the latest video gone viral on Youtube. Before you know it, you’ve gone down the rabbit hole of wasting time and not getting anything important done.
Here are 5 ways to stay focused and productive when you are using social media:
- Plan It: Create a plan. It can be as simple as an excel spreadsheet with the date, platform, and what you are going to post. Plan your posts for the entire month. With a plan in place you can jump in, post and get out. Make sure to schedule in some time later in the day to go back and monitor comments. You can strategize your plan around blogs, events and add in trending topics as they occur. Plan it and be productive.
- Limit It: Set a time of how long you’ll be on social media. One great app is called the Repeat Timer. It was rated one of the 10 best apps of 2013. Not only will it set a specific time it also has an interval timer. The free version allows you to set it for up to 5 times, the paid version is unlimited. Set the timer, when it goes off-finish up and get moving on other more important tasks.
Also, limit the amount of social media platforms you are on. There are so many different avenues to take with social media — Pinterest, Foursquare, Facebook, Twitter, Google+, Instagram, Linkedin, just to name a few. Think about which platform best conveys the message you want for you and your business. Choose no more than 3 platforms and use them well. Not sure which platforms are right for you? Then, hire a social media marketer to help flush out the best social media venues for you to use. They can even set up and run the accounts for you.
- Stop It: Stop any push notifications or alarms related to social media. Those alarms will distract you. Take a proactive approach and choose a time when you post and respond.
- Share It: Share the burden and the joys of social media marketing by using your team. Enlist them to post or blog. Is there someone you employ that loves Facebook? A photographer on your team that can post pictures to Instagram? Or a gifted writer who loves to blog. Use the talents of your team to delegate out the social media posts and presence. Let your entire team shine on social media.
- Move It: Social media is about getting the word out and creating relationships with your customers and colleagues. You can harness the power of social media but also make sure to move it offline. Set up a meeting with the last person you rubbed elbows with at that great networking event you went to. Pick up the phone and call a valued customer to say thank you. Go one step further than an emoticon and the keyboard. Connect with someone in your network.
Using these techniques and tips will help you to focus on your message, the medium and more important the tasks that will move you forward in your business.
About the Author:
Margo Brown is a Productivity Coach, with Wave Productivity and works with entrepreneurs, small business owners and business professionals to help them get more focused, organized and productive in their workplace. She serves the Tempe and Phoenix area in Arizona. Whether it’s social media, email or piles of paper, if you want to get more organized in your office call 602-677-8275 or email email@example.com